Childbirth is one of the most beautiful experiences in a woman’s life, but the post-pregnancy body can be one of the most stressful! If new mother’s follow these five tips, they will be well on their way to fitting in those pre-pregnancy jeans!
- Avoid excessive weight gain during pregnancy. A healthier approach to eating habits during pregnancy can make a world of difference when trying to lose pregnancy weight. You should consume an additional 300 calories a day during pregnancy (and maybe less than that if you are above your ideal body weight). This is roughly the amount of a modest size sandwich or a few servings of fruit. The concept that you are “eating for two” is misleading.
- Healthy dieting. As a new mother, it is extremely important to keep up that nutritious lifestyle! Just because the baby has arrived does not mean that now you can drop your caloric intake, especially if you are breastfeeding. Making a drastic change in your eating habits may actually cause you to retain weight! Instead, eat three healthy meals a day and snack on fiber and protein rich snacks. Grab a handful of almonds or a fiber bar to stay at a healthy calorie level while losing the baby weight!
- Breastfeed. The benefits of breastfeeding are numerous and could fill several blogs. Breastfed infants have less incidence of diseases such as, asthma, diabetes and obesity. It also decreases the risk of breast cancer, ovarian cancer and postpartum depression in mom. And as an added bonus, it burns calories!
- Drink plenty of water. The benefits of drinking water are enormous. Not only does water fill you up, but it also keeps you hydrated which is extremely important when breastfeeding. Being properly hydrated will also help you sleep better at night (when you can actually get some sleep)! I would recommend drinking eight glasses of water a day or more!
- Be patient. Hollywood has set unrealistic post pregnancy weight loss goals. Most of us do not have the resources to hire extra personal chefs, athletic trainers and nannies to help us on a daily basis. Be patient with yourself and focus on taking small steps each day. It took nine months to gain the weight so don’t expect it to come off in a week.
- Be proud. You just brought life into the world! Rather than lamenting about your post baby body, focus on maintaining on a healthy lifestyle and remember the amazing thing you just did.
Looking for more resources? Agnesian HealthCare dietary and nutrition consultants will meet with you one on one to discuss some further steps you can take to slim down! Contact Agnesian HealthCare at (920) 926-2300 to schedule an appointment.