1. Coat a large casserole dish with cooking spray. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. In a medium saucepan, melt the margarine over medium heat. Add the flour and whisk until it is incorporated. Slowly add the milk, whisking constantly while cooking until the sauce has thickened. Add the sage, marjoram, thyme, salt, and black pepper to the sauce. Set aside.
2. In a large skillet, heat 1/2 Tbsp. of the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and sauté for 5 minutes. Add the garlic, mushrooms, and celery, and sauté for 4 to 5 minutes, just until the mushrooms have released their liquid. Drain any excess liquid.
3. Add the cooked chicken, cooked rice, chicken broth, and reserved sauce to the skillet. Mix well.
4. Pour the mixture into the prepared dish. Bake, uncovered, for 25 minutes.
5. In a small bowl, mix together the remaining olive oil, bread crumbs, and Parmesan cheese. Sprinkle the bread crumb mixture over the casserole, and bake for 10 to 15 minutes more, until the bread crumbs are toasted.
- 2 Tbsp. trans fat free margarine
- 1 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cups 1% or skim milk
- 1/2 tsp. each dried sage, marjoram, thyme
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. olive oil, divided
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 cup sliced fresh button mushrooms
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 3 cups skinless, cooked, cubed
- white-meat chicken
- 1 1/2 cups cooked brown rice
- 1 cup reduced-fat, low-sodium chicken broth
- 2/3 cup dry whole wheat bread crumbs
- 1 Tbsp. fresh grated Parmesan cheese
Per Serving: Calories 305, Fat 10 g (Sat. Fat 2.6 g), Carbohydrate 25 g (Fiber 3 g, Sugars 4 g), Cholesterol 65 mg, Sodium 315 mg, Potassium 415 mg, Protein 27 g, Phosphorus 295 mg
Exchanges: Starch 1.5, Lean Meat 3, Fat 1
Recipe from Diabetes Forecast