Written by: Travis Dash, Pharmacist with Agnesian Health Care
Radon is a naturally occurring radioactive gas that comes from the breakdown of uranium within the soil and water. You can’t smell, see or taste radon and it may be an issue within your home. Breathing air that has high levels of radon over many years can increase your risk of developing lung cancer. According to the Surgeon General and Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), indoor radon is the second leading cause of developing lung cancer and is the leading cause of lung cancer among non-smokers. Radon is responsible for 21,000 lung cancer deaths every year.
It is strongly recommended that all Wisconsin homes be tested for radon. Suitable radon detectors can be acquired from local hardware stores for under $20 and requires a small laboratory processing fee once returned by mail. A short-term test can be performed in just a few days with only a few minutes of your time. The EPA recommends that 4pCi/L (picoCuries per liter is the radon concentration) is the action measurement to lower radon levels. Fond du Lac and Dodge county residences have a predicted average indoor radon level greater than 4pCi/L.
If your home has high levels of radon, certified radon mitigation contractors can work on your home to decrease this to safe levels for you and your family.
For further information on this topic, please visit the following links: