Breaking Up for Beginners
- Don’t hate the other person when they let you know their feelings have changed. (By the way, most teens are not very practiced at breaking up respectfully)!
- Don’t expect that their attachment to you should be indefinite or that it absolutely has to be as strong and as durable as your attachment to them.
- Practice telling yourself that if they do not adore you, it is better to be rid of the relationship so that you can find someone who deserves you.
- Realize that your ego is guiding some of the hurt you feel. No one likes to be rejected. That is mostly what a breakup is.
- Treat your former love with kindness and let go with grace and acceptance
This is part four of four in the “Puppy Love” blog series. If you missed our previous postings, please visit http://ingoodhealthfdl.agnesian.com/category/know-go/behavioral-health/.