Are you wanting to increase your lean body mass or increase your strength for an upcoming sport season? According a to recent study in the Journal of the International Society of Sports Nutrition (www.jissn.com/content/10/1/36 ), using creatine after a workout has a greater effect on strength and lean body mass in bodybuilders who used creatine post-workout compared to a group that took it pre-workout. In the study, 19 bodybuilders took 5 grams of creatine monohydrate before and after workouts for four weeks. The groups that used the supplement post-workout increased their fat-free mass by an average of 2.0kg (4.4lbs) versus 0.9kg (1.98lbs) in the pre-workout group. The post-workout group also increased their one repetition maximum for the bench press, by an average of 7.6kg (16.72lbs), compared to 6.6kg (14.52lbs) for the pre-workout group. Remember these numbers are averages, some people may see bigger or smaller gains. If you are looking to put on lean muscle or increase your overall strength a 4 week cycle of creatine monohydrate may be beneficial for you. Supplementation of 5-20 grams has been declared safe with no side adverse effects (The Journal of Sports Medicine and Physical Fitness Dec 2004). Discuss supplement use with your physician prior to using. High school athletes are discouraged from using supplements according with the Wisconsin Interscholastic Athletic Association.
Creatine: Before or After Workout
About Sarah SchultzSarah is a Licensed Athletic Trainer at Sports, Spine and Work Center. She provides Athletic Training services at Campbellsport High School and provides Industrial Services to the community through WorkSTEPS testing, the Work Hardening Program and doing ergonomic evaluations. She is an avid cyclist and barefoot runner. Sarah’s other interests include dynamic stretching, core strengthening, rehabilitation, muscle recovery techniques, and sports nutrition.
Search In Good Health
- Final days for Samaritan Health Clinic cash raffle ticket purchases May 6, 2015
- Registration underway for 2015 RMC Triathlon May 5, 2015
- Agnesian HealthCare nurse wins Nightingale honor May 5, 2015
- Ripon Medical Center Auxiliary to host Pick n’ Save brat fry May 5, 2015
- ‘Why Do They Stay’ domestic violence program May 18 set at public library May 4, 2015
- Agnesian HealthCare welcomes endocrinologist April 28, 2015
- Agnesian HealthCare honors Ripon Medical Center, Green Lake hospice volunteers April 28, 2015